Saturday, August 07, 2004

Yahoo buys farechase

John Battelle's SearchblogAugust 06, 2004
News: Yahoo Buys FareChase
Yahoo recently closed a deal to purchase a company in the Travel search space called FareChase. The acquisition was alluded to in a post on Yahoo Finance. I got the tip from competitor Sidestep. I have calls in to confirm (so far this has not been formally announced), but I think this is a done deal. I am told a news report has hit a registration only travel site called Travel Weekly, but I can't find it at the moment as I am not registered.

UPDATE: Update: Yahoo has confirmed they bought the company, more than a month ago. Why was this kept quiet? SEC rules did not require disclosure due to the small size of the deal...the statement they sent to me: "FareChase's travel expertise will help further Yahoo!'s goal to create the most comprehensive and relevant travel experience on the Web." Yahoo stressed this will not impact the Yahoo Travel! property in which Travelocity continues to be the exclusive partner. Well, maybe, but...I'm not sure about that long term!

No comments: