Tuesday, July 13, 2004

iMedia Connection: United Airlines Gets It

iMedia Connection: United Airlines Gets It: "United has taken what is normally an intrusion and transformed it so that it is a welcome customer service that I value and tell everyone I know about. It�s using technology to save me time and that�s the one commodity none of us will ever have enough of. They�ve reawakened me to their brand and given me hope that airlines will some day get that we are adults who shop for airlines based on price, flight times and destinations.
Those of us with kids aren�t jetting off at a moment�s notice because flights are on sale. We�re dragging our kids� equipment to football practice, simultaneously thinking through our pre-trip checklists while driving 65 in a 55 zone and eating McDonald�s because we�re out of lunchmeat again.
Branding is no longer about intrusive efforts to slap logos on everything in sight. It�s not about spending a small fortune on ads no one watches unless they�re funny. Today, branding is about customer service. If you want my attention and my money, go back to the basics. Save me money, reduce my risk, entertain me, or best of all, save me time. You get bonus points if you can combine any or all of the above.
Branding is now about the improvements in on-board meals that I can select from a menu, or choose to opt out of. It�s about the new uniforms that signal to United employees that it�s a new day, and to customers that United is cleaning up its act."

No comments: